still going strong: a brief update

 


Our son is growing healthy and strong. I know this by the steady 156 heart rate the doppler records every doctor visit, the strength of his kicks in my side and the punches to my bladder. It is truly extraordinary. My body has been malfunctioning since I was 19 and here it is perfectly making a healthy baby. Almost 16 years of not trusting my body because of seizures, muscle weakness, mental confusion, and dizziness. Yet here I sit, the healthiest I have ever felt with my son wiggling inside my womb as I type. I am counting down the weeks until I get to meet our little Sammy Ray in awe. Both because I am excited and because I am growing increasingly uncomfortable. Mostly though, I am excited to hold him and watch him discover the world. 

Meanwhile, this summer is full of record heat and massive fires surrounding my small haven in the Sierra Mountains. The one blowing smoke into our neck of the woods is over 180,000 acres and threatening a neighboring town just 30 minutes from my house. Evacuations are in order throughout that town, shut-ins are being transferred from shelter to shelter. Livestock are being moved. People are losing their homes. People I have met. Friends of friends. We have our evacuation plan ready (which we established last year during other large fires that were even closer than these). Only this year, we have to account for baby items and plan a location that doesn't put us too far from the hospital where I am set to give birth. It is intense but we are taking it day by day, trying not to assume the worst and accepting what is each moment. 

So if you pray, pray that these fires get put out very very soon. Pray that those in charge choose the right strategies and stop underestimating every fire. Pray that no lives are lost. Pray for those who have lost their homes and will need to rebuild their lives from the ground up. Pray for those anxious about losing theirs. Pray that winds will calm and rain will soothe the fires so that firefighters get some aid from nature. My family is fine. My baby healthy and my body on track for a healthy delivery. Pray mostly for these fires.

Thank you. 
Until next time,
KELLY ANN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

breaking the shell one piece at a time

recap round one

when mental problems become physical