to camp or not to camp?

We were camping out. The weather had been gorgeous. We were having a great time. I went to bed feeling great. Then the temperature dropped. I was awoken, shivering and convulsing at who knows what time, with a seizure that lasted until the sun was all the way up. The birds were singing and I was trying not to cry loudly. 

Seizure recovery with puppies

Seizures are brutal. There is no way around that. But this was the scene when I got back home around 6:30 that morning and amazingly I recovered rather quickly from the spasms. If quickly means sleeping most of the day and feeling sore but alright the next day.

People seem to forget that this is my normal.

I have NES and Porphyria, which can also cause muscle weakness and spasms.

I don’t feel sorry for myself that I had to quit camping early in the morning because of a seizure. I don’t feel sorry for the pain I felt or the tears I cried.

I feel elated that my body recovered as quickly as it did when I was 20. I feel like I’m getting my body back on track to being capable again. I feel thankful that my husband has my back. I feel like I could do yoga again today but am being cautious and giving myself one more day. I am happy that my dogs cheer me up when I’m down.

If you or someone you know has some health issues, remember kindness. Be kind to yourself if you have bad days like I do. Be kind to your loved ones as you watch them have bad days. Ask them if they need anything, even if it’s just a hand to hold or a puppy to cuddle.

Will I camp again? Of course I will. Just maybe with a better sleeping bag or a heated blanket. 


Until next time,
KELLY ANN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

breaking the shell one piece at a time

recap round one

when mental problems become physical