this is my summer, I can feel it

Eight years. That is how long it has been since I've been able to really push myself physically without dire, couch-ridden consequences. Eight long years of trying and failing to remain consistently active. 2012 was the year I got the flu that changed everything. It took 6 months for me to be able to walk places without having to sleep for two days to recover. Since then it has been two steps forward and 10 steps back.

Now, finally, I am doing yoga at home consistently and hiking and bicycling with minor setbacks. Seriously. MINOR. I don't think I could be more stoked. I really feel like this is the year I can get back on my feet. Build up the muscle I still remember having and keep forgetting I don't have anymore. The year I might even be able to get to a point where opening a jar doesn't cause 10 minute tremors from the effort.

I pushed myself on a hike last week and my dizziness had me stumbling and exhausted by the end of it. But one nap and a good night's sleep and I was right back at it. That has not happened in EIGHT YEARS. It wasn't two days or a week of being down until further notice. I don't feel so weak that I'm over cautious of what my body can handle. I went back out on an easier adventure the very next day and have been doing yoga every other day and even riding bikes with my husband a few days a week. I can't tell you how good it feels to feel like exercise is good for me again.

Have you ever had so many setbacks you wanted to quit, but kept doing everything you could until finally you reached that unreachable goal?

That's me, this month. 2020 may be a crazy ride right now, but I have a lot to be thankful for.

What are you thankful for right now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

recap round one

when mental problems become physical

breaking the shell one piece at a time