admitting your limits is not admitting defeat

Muscle weakness may last just a couple of days sometimes, but the emotional struggles it triggers linger much longer. Each day is one task at a time, pretending that I'm not afraid it will happen again. Especially now, as work is extremely busy, I push away the anxiety that threatens me around every turn. I have to remind myself that I can only do what I can and I have to be okay with not doing what I cannot. 

It has taken me years to recognize this. That there are things I cannot, in fact, do. 

...and that is okay.

Saying you can't do something is not saying you can't do anything

So I stop to smell the wildflowers, make time to read, play Solitaire or Kings in the Corner. Whatever I can make time to do to quiet my mind and think of nothing or anything else. But most importantly, I focus on people. 

The people around me don't care if I use a cane, or don't come to work for a couple days, or need to ask for help with a few meals or with my dogs. They are my support system and they are ready to help when I need it. That is what makes everything ok. I don't need everyone I see to be my support system, I just need a few. 

So thank you to my friends and neighbors who are always willing to help me. 

Until next time,
KELLY ANN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

recap round one

when mental problems become physical

breaking the shell one piece at a time